Wednesday, June 06, 2007

On Pell, Hilaly and the separation of religion and state ...

I really don't need to say much on this as NSW National Party MP and practising Catholic Adrian Piccoli has said it all ...

Look, if the Catholic Church want to take measures against members of Parliament who vote in favour of this legislation, then I guess it's up to them. But, look, I don't expect that the Catholic Church would do that.

I, in fact, think that the vast majority of Catholics don't believe that the church should influence politics and politicians. So I think the vast majority of Catholics are certainly on the side of members of Parliament and don't agree with the Archbishop's intervention.

So, look, if they want to take measures against me or anybody else it's entirely up to them, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Well, I certainly, you know, in the last few years there's been a lot of talk about the Islamic faith and the attempt, or the perception that, particularly in other countries, that the Islamic faith is having a, is putting a lot of pressure on politics. And I think in Australia, if Sheikh Al Hilali had made that same kind of declaration to Members of Parliament of the Muslim faith, telling them how to vote, I think there'd be outrage.

I think it would be front page of every newspaper and there would be outrage against him. I see this by the Catholic Church as being a similar thing.


© Irfan Yusuf 2007

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: